Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter and stay up to date on everything coming up at CASA!
Be sure to check out the current newsletter below!
Contact us using the form below
* These fields are required.
The Truth About Sexual Assault
Written By: Leslie Minton, Children's Program Coordinator
What is Sexual Assault
Sexual Assault is any type of sexual contact that occurs without the consent of the victim, or when the victim is incapable of giving consent. This may include things like unwanted touching, fondling, kissing, licking, forcing a victim to perform a sexual act.
Sexual Assault Statistics
- Every 92 seconds, another person experiences sexual assault.
- More than 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced sexual violence involving physical contact at some point in their lives.
- 1 out of 10 rape victims are male.
- More than 70% of victims of rape/sexual assault know their attackers.
Sexual Assault in Our Community
- 1 in 4 girls and 1in 6 boys experience sexual violence.
- Sedalia district 200 has 5,169 students. 1/5 of the student body will experience sexual violence.
- Pettis County school district serves 395 Kindergartners. By the time they graduate 80 of them will experience sexual assault.
- 23 sexual assaults were reported in Pettis County in January alone
What You Need to Know
Victims are still blamed for the attack even though psychological studies show it is issues with-in the attacker not the actions of the victim that cause sexual violence.
IT IS NEVER THE VICTIMS FAULT!
Victims are still not believed especially child victims. This allows abuse to continue and multiple people to be victimized. It also prevents victims from getting mental health and medical services that are needed.
ALWAYS LISTEN AND BELIVE WHAT YOU HEAR!
CASA provides several services including Crisis Intervention, Professional counseling, Court advocacy, hospital accompaniment, and emergency shelter. We also have a 24-hour hotline that gives you access to a real person to help you navigate any crisis or provide resources if you are helping someone else.
To truly solve these problems, this has to be more than a moment. Moments are temporary; movements lead to real change. There is a role for all of us.
ITS TIME TO MOVE!!!!