Two women smiling to each other at home

Safety & Shelter

Leaving an abusive partner is often a difficult choice to make, and the lethality of your situation can increase when a survivor attempts to leave.  Below are things to consider when leaving and tips to assist in the process:

  • Create a safe exit plan for you and your children. Call CASA’s crisis hotline to help develop your safety plan.
  • Secure all forms of identification for yourself and your children (i.e. birth certificates, driver’s license, social security cards, passports).
  • Secure all legal documents (i.e. deeds, lease agreements, titles, child custody paperwork and/or divorce decrees, ex parte, restraining order)
  • Gather prescriptions for you and/or your children.
  • Gather clothing, toiletries, children’s toys, school supplies, and various items you consider necessary.

Oftentimes survivors will slowly gather these items over a period of time. However, if you are in immediate danger, your safety and your children’s safety are the first priority. These items can all be replaced.

For more information on developing a safe exit strategy from your abusive relationship, please call CASA’s crisis hotline at (660) 827-5555 or toll-free at (800) 894-1151.

Upon arriving at our shelter, you will be given a private room and bathroom, as well as a welcome kit. Your kit will include towels, bedding, and toiletries. While in our shelter, food, and clothing, if needed, will be provided to you and your children.

Adult clients will work closely with the Family Services Coordinator to develop a safety plan and set goals for living independently of your abuser. This plan may include a combination of services from CASA and some of our community partners. Child clients will also work with the Family Services Coordinator who gives them a safe space to discuss and express their emotions related to the violence in their homes. Children may participate in age-appropriate safety plans and various groups, classes, and off-campus activities. The Children’s Program Manager will further work with the child’s mother or legal guardian to obtain school and/or child care resources.